Section 1: Protection, Maintenance & Enhancement
- Encourage Walton County to continue to enforce native vegetation preservation regulations.
- Coordinate with Walton County Planning Department to develop a heritage tree preservation ordinance.
- Develop landscaping standard and guidelines for Scenic 30-A corridor.
- Develop a plan for uniform garbage control along Scenic 30-A, CR83, CR 283, CR395, Timpoochee Trail and connector roads.
- Advocate for transition from above ground to underground utilities.
- Advocate for utility provider to provide buffers and screening for accessory structure.
- Apply for grants for Scenic 30-A and connectors.
- Advocate for benches, water fountains and trash receptacles along walkways.
- Work with the county on Scenic 30-A maintenance issues for roads, trails, landscaping and interpretive sites; advocate for continued funding for maintenance from Public Works.
Section 2: Transportation Planning and Safety
- Advocate for long range parking Master Plan. Strive to maintain a seat on the TPO’s Citizen Advisory Committee.
- Coordinate with Walton County Public Works on the implementation of Scenic 30-A Traffic Study recommendations including intersection improvements at CR 30-A, CR 395, CR83, and CR 283.
- Work with Walton County Public Works on Timpoochee Trail safety improvements. Provide pedestrian crosswalks with safety features at strategic locations along Timpoochee Trail. Work with the Tourism Development Council (TDC) to install bike racks at all public beach access points where feasible.
- Improve directional signs along Timpoochee Trail System and at Point Washington State Park and remove repetitive non-conforming signage.
- Work with Walton County and TDC to fund the Wayfinding Plan.
- Promote maintenance and clearing of visibility triangles on all trails.
- Support trail development and funding for additional trails along Scenic 30-A and connector roads.
- Continue to work with Greenways and Trails to seek and support funding for trail projects.
- Identify locations for public restroom areas and drinking fountains.
- Pursue acquisition of lands for recreational learning centers and public uses.
Section 3: Support
- Inform local businesses and organizations about benefits of Scenic 30-A.
- Encourage local businesses and organizations to engage in promotion of Scenic 30-A.
Section 4: Education and Corridor Study
- Educate visitors, businesses and citizens about recycling options.
- Educate public on pedestrian, bicycle and vehicular laws.
- Encourage best management practices and education for xeric landscaping.
- Install historic markers, where appropriate.
- Coordinate with homeowner associations to educate citizens about vegetative community preservation requirements and benefits of using native vegetation.
- Provide intrinsic resource interpretation along Scenic 30-A corridor.
Section 5: Economic Development and Tourism
- Encourage support for promotion and education efforts by partnering with the TDC, the Economic Development Alliance and the Walton County Chamber of Commerce.
- Host visioning meetings with organizations, citizens and governments to review strategies on economic development.
Section 6: Administration
- Participate in an annual Environmental Forum Workshop.
- Continue to revise the Action Plan as items are resolved and new issues arise. Engage interested and appropriate government officials, citizens, landowners, businesses and land managers in Friends of Scenic 30-A strategies. Broaden Friends of Scenic 30-A membership annually based on current projects.
- Develop fundraising strategies for administrative activities.
- Develop and support additional projects, programs and strategies based on new membership input, public participation and local corridor conditions.